Saturday, October 22, 2005

Its a Small World!

Cliched!

No doubt, it is cliched. That said, all of us go through our share of "Oh!"s when revelation tickles the spaghetti in the brain. A very flimsy example is the circulation of the same forwards every time a new generation of (engineering) college graduates enters the naukri sponsored cyberspace (as in office wala free Internet).

So anyway, my (re)discovery of the world being a small place seems to happen everyday and often in an entirely new way. For starters, I work for a company called Pangea3, the very name leading us to believe that things are very well connected across the oceans and its a small world, as in American attorney's may get their work done from the person across the wires. The wires being undersea cables leading from NY to Mumbai!

Then on-and-off I login to orkut on days when the 'Does anyone even care whether I exist?' question chooses to bother me (of all the rest damned ever bulging population, including the sucker Arindham Chaudhari!). Anyway, relevance-to-context is that orkut lets you click on a random chick's photograph and then see how are you linked to her! It is really awesome, a great way to find out about lost friends, and be amused at finding how friends of friends or friends are your friends too. Try it! Pardon my language, I just saw on TV, the cool (khool?) people call pretty (to very pretty) girls, having rotund (to very rotund), big (to very big) portions of body as chicks, though I have never understood why. I want to be khool too!

Finally, the webapp that made me write this post. The "Oracle" developed by some khool guys at the Department of Computer Science, University of Virginia. The link is http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cgi-bin/oracle/movielinks. The webapp is no rocket science in itself, but yes, as with a zillion other webapps, it leads to some VERY interesting findings. The webapp links movie actors (btw, I've noticed that this term - actors - is used unisexually, and I approve such usage) names at imdb. So after wasting close to a couple of hours, I thought it was worth a post, this one. See how Juhi Babbar, the pretty (and rotund at right places) daughter of Raj Babbar is linked to the babaji, Al Pacino.

Juhi Babbar was in Kash... Aap Hamare Hote (2003) with Om Puri
Om Puri was in Wolf (1994) with Peter Gerety
Peter Gerety was in People I Know (2002) with Al Pacino

Interesting? Go waste a few hours. Its fun! After all, not being khool and having to spend an average of 65 years on this earth can be very boring. Thank God for the webapps!

No comments: