Monday, February 27, 2006

Henry David Thoreau: Wisdom!

I have been following quotes from Henry David Thoreau for a while and now my reading has reached a critical mass for a post here! Without further ado, here are the quotes that I could relate to the most:

About Money/Wealth
1. A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
2. That man is rich whose pleasures are the cheapest.
3. The cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

About Living
1. Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
2. Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
3. Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality.
4. Be not simply good; be good for something.
5. Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it.
6. The finest workers in stone are not copper or steel tools, but the gentle touches of air and water working at their leisure with a liberal allowance of time.

About Solitude
1. I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.
2. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will.
3. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.

Of course, I will keep updating the above list when I come across more of quotes from the master.

No comments: